Monday, August 4, 2014

Modern Feminism Vs. Actual Feminism

   So basically I am ashamed to admit that I participated in a twitter war. There's just certain subjects I can't keep my mouth (or rather my keyboard) shut! Ever heard of the hashtag #IDontNeedFeminism? It is the most painful thing to read. Basically it's full of a bunch of poorly informed people posting things like
"#IDontNeedFeminism bc the number of times a woman has put me down/insulted me/harassed me far exceeds the number of times a man has."

   I don't want to have to explain why this is so SO wrong. But here's my favorite to add on to the bogus train: "IDontNeedFeminism because if a man killed his child he would go to prison, but if a woman kills hers she's considered pro choice."

   At first I wanted to bash this user who obviously has no clue what Feminism is. I had a discussion, and I say discussion because it was a very calm argument where I stated my opinions and he stated his with no accusations or insults, that showed me that the girl who posted these wasn't a stubborn asshole. To her Feminism is a bunch of girls whining about how terrible men are and wanting free everything. At first I saw this view point as idiotic and ignorant. But if you Google the definition of Feminism the first definition is "the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men." This is 100% wrong and it shocked me to see it as the main definition. Feminism is actually a movement for equal rights to all women AND MEN. Real feminists work for that purpose. Do you enjoy not having anything segregated? That's because of Feminism. Enjoy voting? Feminism. Do you want to be able to persecute a rapist regardless of each others gender? Feminism is desperately trying to make that possible. I believe the term Feminism was first coined during the women's rights movement but was never meant to be specifically for women only. It's always been about everyone. However now a days that can get confused since so many girls are calling themselves feminists and whining about how terrible men are for not paying for their...well everything. What that twitter user was referring to without realizing it, isn't feminism. It's considered modern feminism because the majority of "feminists" are the ones claiming these outlandish demands as feminism thus creating these insane movements like #IDontNeedFeminism.


   Knowing this, I'm not upset with people for having these feminists opinions (even though I don't know a soul that doesn't enjoy the rights feminism made possible) as long as they understand that it isn't actually feminism but rather an evolved terrible misuse of feminism. Honestly it still frustrates me because modern feminism still isn't feminism. It's just like if I sat down and called it dancing and got enough people to call it dancing that everyone else now refers to it as dancing. I'm still sitting, the term dancing didn't change to "the act of laying on your ass and not moving" just because the majority falsely believes it is. So calling these fake feminists as actual feminists is personally an insult to the feminist movement and the good that we're trying to create. I will continue to call out these anti feminists in the hopes that they'll open their un educated minds and realize that they are terribly and depressingly wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment